We Malaysians may complain a lot about the state of things (like the weather, the economy and certain people), but if you think about it for just a few seconds, we’re lucky — all things considered.
We have great food, great people, and despite us fighting (time and time again) about how different we are, we are actually pretty much the same. Here’s how:
1. We Call the Waiters ‘Bro’, ‘Boss’ or ‘Anneh’
2. We’re Always Someone’s Leng Lui or Leng Zhai
3. We Go Yum Char Often. And We ALWAYS Talk about Food
4. We Use a Combination of at Least 2 Languages in Our Daily Conversation. Example: “Dei, Why You Bojio Me?”
5. We’re Always ‘On the Way’
6. We Use the ‘Traffic Jam’ As Our Number One Excuse. ALWAYS
7. We Use Lah, or Bah or Both. Or Any Other Accompaniment
8. We Totally Love Free Gifts
9. We Think Walking across the Road with Our Hand out Is the Magical ‘Stop’ Sign
10. We Have a Local Favourite Food at Least Once a Week. and We Eat Everything with Chilli or Sambal
11. We Are Extra Patriotic When Knowing That If We Win, We Get a Public Holiday!
12. We Are Very Kiasu or Busybody
13. We Love Our Pasar Malam
14. We Think Every Time Is a Good Time for Teh Tarik
15. We Constantly Have Cravings for Ramly Burger
16. We Watch Football or Badminton at the Mamak Regularly
17. We Eat Durian Literally Anywhere, Anytime
18. We Look Forward to Petronas Ads Every Year
19. We Specialise in Maggi
20. We Own at Least One Set of Traditional Costumes in Our Wardrobe
BONUS: We always start a conversation with, “Dah makan?” (Have you eaten?)
There we go. The Malaysian starter pack!